Military Spouses Education Benefits & Resources

Education resources for military spouses and dependents.

The military understands that the families of those who serve often sacrifice just as much as servicemembers themselves. Stability for spouses and dependents is critically important, and one of the ways the military helps provide that stability is through education. There are a variety of education benefits for spouses and dependents of active-duty military personnel and veterans.

Explore the sections below to learn more about military spouse and dependent education benefits that can help you get the quality education you need.

Transition Assistance Program Guide

Military Spouse & Dependent Education Programs

1. Spouse Education Assistance Program (SEAP). SEAP provides need-based scholarships to spouses of active-duty or retired Soldiers to help them earn a four-year college degree. There have been many changes to SEAP recently; see the Army Emergency Relief SEAP page for full details on eligibility and the application process.

2. Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA). MyCAA helps Army spouses studying to enter selected portable career fields pay for tuition, books, supplies, exams, certifications and licensures. You can apply for the program by registering at the MyCAA website.

3. Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA). DEA offers up to 45 months of education benefits to the dependents of certain veterans. However, eligibility is restricted and the application process is different from other education benefits programs, so a thorough review of the Department of Veterans Affairs' DEA page is recommended.

4. Scholarships & Grants for Military Spouses. There are a wide variety of private scholarships and grants available to military spouses and dependents. Much of this assistance goes unclaimed every year due to misconceptions about who is eligible and how difficult the money is to get. U.S. News University Directory recommends thoroughly researching scholarship and grants opportunities and applying for any you qualify for.

Finally, veterans who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill may transfer their benefits to their spouse if they meet certain requirements. A full list of these requirements can be found on the Department of Veterans Affairs' Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents page.

Degree Finder Tool

U.S. News University Directory can match you with Online Programs that meet your criteria in a few simple steps.

Get Matched