The School of Government at UNC-Chapel Hill, the home of the MPA program, is the largest university-based local government training, advisory, and research organization in the United States. More than 100 faculty and staff members at the School work with public officials at all levels, as well as employees of nonprofit organizations, to address concerns of the public good. In 2012, US News & World Report ranked the UNC MPA program sixth nationally in the specialty area of city management and 23rd overall.
MPA@UNC - The Master of Public Administration Program at UNC-Chapel Hill
Delivered in a flexible, online environment, MPA@UNC is a graduate degree that prepares you to be an effective leader in public service. You’ll benefit from the same top-ranked UNC School of Government curriculum, courses, and renowned faculty as our full-time program students. Whether your passions lie in managing and leading local, state, or federal government or nonprofit organizations, the MPA@UNC program can help you build upon your skills and expertise.
MPA@UNC offers students a top-ranked, academically rigorous program
- Students complete the same curriculum and earn the same degree as students who complete UNC's top-ranked on-campus MPA program.
- MPA@UNC is part of the UNC School of Government, the largest university-based local government training, advisory, and research organization in the United States.
- MPA@UNC students are taught by UNC School of Government faculty, who regularly advise public officials at all levels.
- Students will learn alongside and network with similarly ambitious and outstanding classmates who have met MPA@UNC's selective admissions requirements and have a passion for public service.
- The MPA program is ranked 23 by U.S. News & World Report (ranked 6 in City Management) and is accredited by NASPAA.
- MPA@UNC's curriculum emphasizes the practical application of knowledge, rather than theoretical approaches, ensuring graduates excel as leaders in the public space.
- Students become members of the MPA Tar Heel alumni family from their first day in the program.
- Federal Student Loans: All MPA@UNC students can be considered for federal student loans to cover the cost of attendance for the program, including tuition and living expenses.
- Private Education Loans: Students have the option of seeking a credit-based private education loan.
- Fellowships: MPA@UNC awards a limited number of partial-tuition fellowships to students who demonstrate excellence throughout their applications.
- Military Benefits: MPA@UNC is an approved educational program for active duty and veteran students’ military education benefits.
- Employer support: Confer with your employer regarding tuition benefits. We can provide you with information to help you discuss sponsorship with your organization and other benefactors.