Online degrees based on your skills and knowledge
Western Governors University—a private, nonprofit, online university—features a competency-based approach to learning that emphasizes mastery of essential skills and knowledge instead of accumulating credit hours. Progress toward your online degree is based on passing rigorous assessments that measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study. WGU offers over 50 degree programs in teacher education, business, information technology, and healthcare (including nursing). These programs are best suited for individuals with at least one year of college experience. Here’s what the WGU advantage means to you:
- An online learning and assessment model that gives you flexibility and control over your education.
- A mentoring team committed to your success.
- A trusted quality education from the only university to have ever received accreditation from four regional accrediting commissions.
- Affordable tuition with the possibility of accelerated learning that equals lower costs for your education.
Challenging and efficient. These are the hallmarks of WGU’s competency-based approach. Learn more today!
WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Teachers College at WGU is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). WGU’s nursing programs are also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-867-6791).
Note: In Indiana, Texas, and Washington, through partnerships with these states, WGU operates as WGU Indiana, WGU Texas, and WGU Washington respectively. Students who live in these states will receive information from and ultimately enroll in these states.
The WGU Teachers College offers bachelors, post-baccalaureate, and master’s degree programs for licensed teachers and individuals seeking initial teacher certification. As the first exclusively online institution to receive NCATE accreditation, WGU offers respected programs in interdisciplinary studies, mathematics, science, early childhood education, special education, ELL/ESL, instructional design, and other critical education areas.College of Business
WGU’s business programs emphasize mastery of skills and knowledge that are essential for continued advancement in the competitive business world. A multiple GetEducation.com “Best Buy” winner, WGU offers bachelor’s degrees in business management, marketing, accounting, HR, sales, and IT management, as well as three MBA programs.College of Information Technology
In the world of information technology, skills and certifications are everything. With the rigorous, industry-respected IT programs at WGU, you’ll not only get the knowledge you need to be successful but also up to 18 respected industry certifications (incorporated into the program at no extra cost) that will open doors in your career. WGU offers degrees in database administration, software, security and assurance, network administration, network design and management, and health informatics.College of Health Professions
As the healthcare industry rapidly grows, exciting opportunities grow along with it. Be ready to take advantage of those opportunities with CCNE-accredited*, industry-respected online healthcare and nursing degrees from WGU. Developed by employers for the specific, current needs of the industry, WGU offers degree programs for registered nurses and healthcare professionals who seek the credentials for advancement.
*The nursing degree programs at WGU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-867-6791).
Featured on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams in their “What Works” segment, WGU is the recipient of the USDLA 21st Century Award for Best Practices in Distance Learning for 2011, awarded in recognition of their success in expanding access to higher education.
- My favorite part of WGU is that they have a mentoring system where you are actually assigned a personal mentor throughout your entire degree program.
- I think that WGU is the only school that you’re going to find that has such a great value for the education itself and the outcome of the knowledge that you gain is unsurpassed and that they are there every step of the way to help you complete your goals.
- WGU tries to enroll people with the sole purpose of helping them graduate. That will ultimately help their employer, help their community, and help their family. That’s their only endeavor, they’re truly student centric. They care about being able make sure that you graduate and reach your ultimate goal, which is certainly something beyond graduation.
- For me, it really came down to do I want a university that focuses on education or do I want a university that focuses on profit? With WGU, first and foremost, education was absolutely the most important thing.