The George Washington University is the largest institution of higher education in the District of Columbia. We have more than 20,000 students—from all 50 states, the District and more than 130 countries—studying a rich range of disciplines: from forensic science and creative writing to international affairs and homeland security.
In response to the high demand for comprehensive, strategic knowledge of homeland security, The George Washington University has created the online security and safety leadership program. The main objective of the program is to contribute to the professional development of working safety professionals by analyzing a wide range of homeland security issues, policies and practices.
- Created for professionals seeking to work in homeland security, private security, intelligence community and public safety
- Designed to provide the building blocks for greater career success, both in current and future positions
- 100% online, providing convenience and flexibility
- Developed by industry experts to supplement and enhance on-the-job experience
- The George Washington University is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education
In this continually evolving environment of security challenges, both local and national, the need for comprehensive knowledge and innovative solutions has never been greater. The College of Professional Studies, in partnership with the Center for Excellence in Public Leadership at The George Washington University, has created the security and safety leadership program to help develop tomorrow’s security leaders. The program was designed for professionals seeking to work in homeland security, private security, intelligence community and public safety.
Taught fully online, this program is led by faculty who have a professional background in security and safety, providing insight into the field of homeland security. The 100% online format allows working professionals the flexibility to balance their lives and careers while enhancing skills that will help build their future.
Students in this degree program will develop competencies and knowledge relating to:
- Homeland security strategy and policy development
- Regional security issues
- Emergency response
- Inter-agency cooperation
- Leadership and performance management
- Managing organizational change
- Intelligence and strategic analysis
“The Security and Safety Leadership Program is an ideal master’s program for working professionals in the emergency management and security-related field. Students will discover this program offers a manageable curriculum, which allows them to take on the challenges of a graduate degree while still working full-time. Students involved in this program will find they can apply the knowledge and skills obtained in the classroom to their existing job and onward throughout their career. I would recommend this program to anyone looking to make a strong impact on their profession.” – Jason M