Located on a beautiful campus in Washington, D.C., The Catholic University of America (CUA) is unique as the national university of the Catholic Church and the only higher education institution founded by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Founded in 1887 as a center for graduate study, CUA has evolved into a modern American university, committed not only to graduate but also to undergraduate and professional education. The university is dedicated to advancing the dialogue between faith and reason, seeking to discover, preserve and impart truth through excellence in teaching and research, all in service to the Church, the nation, and the world.
Catholic University has more than 40 research centers, institutes, and interdisciplinary collaborative arrangements currently in place and is home to approximately 7,000 students from 50 states and 85 countries. The university is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and 97 percent of the full-time faculty have doctoral or terminal degrees in their fields. At CUA, you will find a supportive and friendly learning environment where students experience personal attention from dedicated faculty members and caring advisors who are committed to nurturing your potential for professional and personal success.
The Catholic University of America
Online classes are 8 weeks long
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Type of Institution: Private
- Undergraduate enrollments: 3,573
- Graduate enrollments: 3,394
- Master of Science in Management
- Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
Online Master of Science in Management
Management skills don’t automatically come with a promotion. Develop your ability to lead employees, teams, organizations and projects with The Catholic University of America’s online Master of Science in Management (M.S.M.) degree. This career-oriented program is designed to give you the practical expertise that managers need in the real world.
The core curriculum of the Master of Science in Management focuses on communication, strategy, employee behavior, decision-making, and project management to build a strong foundation for your career now and in the future, whether you work in a corporate, non-profit, or government organization.
Four specializations give you the option to customize your studies based on your personal interests and career goals.
Online Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- Leadership: Effective leaders are needed in all types of organizations. Develop your ability to lead employees, teams, and projects with The Catholic University of America’s online Master of Science in Management (MSM) degree. This career-oriented program is designed to give you the practical expertise that is difficult to learn on the job but so essential to performing as an effective manager.
- Human Resource Generalist: For the student interested in advancing or transitioning into HR, coursework in this specialization covers a range of vital HR topics, including employee development and training, conflict management, measuring effectiveness, and more.
- Federal Human Resource Management: Designed for students interested in working for the federal government in a human resources capacity, coursework in this specialization focuses on the terminology, practices, and regulations specific to this environment.
- Organization Development: Organization Development (OD) involves a systematic process whereby an organization can move strategically from its current position to where it would like to be. It is important to organizations, as it enhances positive change, effectiveness, and stakeholder value. The OD track will prepare you to operate as a change agent in today's volatile economy and ever-transforming organizations -- a critical skill for today's managers.
This comprehensive degree program will help prepare you to assume a leadership role in the human resource function of an organization. Developed with the input of senior HR executives, the career-oriented curriculum offers coursework in all of the main functional areas of human resources, coupled with broad contextual courses such as organizational behavior and leadership, to provide the high-level perspective and planning skills you need to steer an organization to success.
Coursework also prepares students for the Society for Human Resource Management’s Professional in Human Resources (PHR) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certifications, credentials that employers recognize and value.
Choose to specialize as a Human Resource Generalist or in Federal Human Resource Management.
Online Master of Science in Nursing
- Human Resource Management: Focus on the functional areas of human resource management – build your knowledge of labor-management relations, compensation and benefits, and training and development – or increase your understanding of organizational change and development.
- Federal Acquisition and Contract Management: For federal employees or those interested in joining the federal workforce, this specialization explores the specific requirements and procedures for managing government contracts and the procurement process.
Create a more fulfilling nursing career with an online M.S.N. from The Catholic University of America. Catholic is a respected, established institution with 77 years of experience in nursing education. Study an advanced practice nursing curriculum that challenges you to deliver the best care possible, learn from experienced faculty members who care about your accomplishments and gain the ethical perspective to make a difference in health care today. Plus, it’s all in a flexible online format that works with nurses’ busy schedules.
The online Master of Science in Nursing meets the standards for Nurse Practitioner education as established by national nursing organizations to prepare students for certification and licensure as Family Nurse Practitioners. Core courses cover the essentials of advanced practice nursing in depth, such as:
- Advanced health assessment
- Health care policy
- Theories and models for advanced practice nursing
- Population Health
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Advanced Pharmacology
The program also provides courses and clinical experiences to prepare comprehensive primary care providers for individuals across the lifespan.
The Online M.S.N. features the following track:
Family Nurse Practitioner Track
Online Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.)
Prepare for a growing role in advanced practice nursing with the Family Nurse Practitioner track. FNPs provide primary care to children, adults and families in clinics, private practices, in the community, and other health care settings. Graduates are eligible to sit for the national Family Nurse Practitioner exams administered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Certification Program.
Coursework focuses on primary care to individuals and families across the lifespan. Selected courses include:
- Perinatal Health
- The 3 Ps ( Pathophysiology, Physical/Health Assessment and Pharmacology)
- Family and Culture
- Discrete courses in Pediatrics and Adolescent Health Management of Health Problems in Adults
- Biomedical Ethics
- Advanced Practice Role
Coursework meets the curriculum guidelines and requirements of the:
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and American Academy of Nurse Practitioner (AANP)Family Nurse Practitioner Certification Criteria
From the patient room to the boardroom, the nursing field is under pressure to produce leaders who can create and implement strategies for more efficient health care delivery and successful patient outcomes. Become one of them with this online CCNE-accredited program at The Catholic University of America, where you’ll find an engaging learning environment, enthusiastic professors committed to helping you thrive; a curriculum that emphasizes the role of ethics, values and spirituality in health care; and a community of faculty, staff and students from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds.
You’ll learn to translate research into reality, using your skills to improve systems for health care delivery. These abilities will help you forge a path to advanced and executive nursing roles. The program covers topics including:
- Emerging issues in health
- Evidence-based practice
- Epidemiology and its applications
- Leadership in the health care context
You can tailor your studies to your specific areas of professional interest through a project-based dissertation completed under the guidance of supportive faculty members, resulting in a professional portfolio to show to potential employers. A B.S.N. to D.N.P. option is also available for nurses without a master’s in Nursing.
The American Association of Colleges of Nurses recognizes the D.N.P. as a degree that shows the ability to manage the interdisciplinary responsibilities of advanced practice nursing. Make sure you earn such an important credential at a school that’s truly invested in your success—earn it at Catholic University.
Online Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Nursing
Nursing needs researchers who can effectively produce, analyze and implement findings promoting better patient care and outcomes. The online Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Nursing at The Catholic University of America focuses on the clinical aspect of nursing to train the next generation of nurse scientists who will continue to pursue scholarship and innovation in the field.
This program emphasizes the research skills needed to work in the highest levels of nursing research, practice and education. Coursework is research-intensive, with studies in:
- The philosophy of science
- Theory development and application
- Statistics and research in health care
- Accepted methods for qualitative and quantitative research
As a part of the program, you will complete dissertation research exploring an aspect of patient care issues that you choose according to your professional goals and interests. During the entire process—both research and writing--you’ll have access to support and guidance from faculty members who are committed to helping you and keeping you on track.