Saint Xavier University, Chicago’s oldest Catholic university, has a long history of educating students to prepare them for professional success and lay the foundation for personal fulfillment. Our online master’s degree programs reflect our values: to explore and respect different viewpoints, work for the betterment of the community, and engage students in the pursuit of lifelong learning.
Grounded in the tradition of liberal arts, “Success with Purpose” is the hallmark of a Saint Xavier University education. SXU offers graduate and post-graduate online programs that are recognized and respected by employers and delivered by professional faculty who are experts in their fields.
Saint Xavier University
Chicago and Orland Park
Catholic – Sisters of Mercy
8-weeks or semester (depending on the online program)
- Saint Xavier University is has been awarded Regional Accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, a Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- The School of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Council of Independent Colleges
- The School for Continuing Education and Professional Studies holds a membership in the University Continuing Education Association
- The School of Education holds a membership in the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), the Illinois Association of Colleges in Nursing, the Illinois Coalition for Nursing Resources (ICNR), Building a Healthier Chicago, and the National League for Nursing (NLN.)
- Top 25% of all Midwest master’s comprehensive universities for a fifth consecutive year, according to US News & World Report’s 2011 ranking for “Best Colleges in the Midwest.”
- School of Nursing has been designated as a Center of Excellence by the National League of Nursing for a second consecutive three-year term, effective through 2013. SXU is among one of only 17 nursing programs in the country that have been awarded this prominent designation.
- The Best Colleges ranked SXU’s MSN – Clinical Leadership and MSN – Executive Leadership in the Top 6 Online MSN Programs 2011-2012.
- One of the five largest schools of nursing in Illinois.
- At the graduate level, SXU is the second largest provider of teachers in the state of Illinois. In the metropolitan Chicago area, it is estimated that more than 174,000 school children a day are taught by a teacher from Saint Xavier University.
- The School of Nursing at Saint Xavier was also ranked Sixth on The Best Colleges Top 10 Online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Degree Programs List for 2011-2012
Master of Nursing – Clinical Leadership:
This graduate degree is for nurses who want to hone their clinical expertise and take on the challenge of identifying and instituting more effective methods of patient care. The skills learned can be applied to most clinical settings, including: hospitals, doctors' offices, rehabilitation centers, hospices and Veterans Affairs Medical Centers. The curriculum prepares students for the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) certification exam.
Master of Nursing – Executive Leadership:
This program gives nurses the high-level perspective and critical skills needed to manage a nursing department or unit. Coursework covers vital aspects of an administrative role including: assessment and implementation of quality and safety measurements, budgeting, project management, strategic planning and patient communications. The curriculum prepares students for Nurse Executive, Advanced certification exam (NEA-BC.
Master of Arts in Curriculum & Instruction:
Engage and enrich your student’s lives. The online program features a sought-after curriculum aligned with Common Core Standards. Prepare to meet the expectations of new state standards while gaining critical skills in differentiated instruction, response to intervention and formative assessment.
Discover Our Robust Curriculum
The online curriculum includes 11 courses of three credit hours each and a three credit hour, two-day residency of applied campus experience for a total of 33 credit hours. Courses include:
- Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instructional Methods
- Movements in Education
- Advanced Human Growth and Development
- Curriculum Integration of Educational Technology