Saint Xavier University, Chicago’s oldest Catholic university, has a long history of educating students to prepare them for professional success and lay the foundation for personal fulfillment. Our online master’s degree programs reflect our values: to explore and respect different viewpoints, work for the betterment of the community, and engage students in the pursuit of lifelong learning.
Grounded in the tradition of liberal arts, “Success with Purpose” is the hallmark of a Saint Xavier University education. SXU offers graduate and post-graduate online programs that are recognized and respected by employers and delivered by professional faculty who are experts in their fields.
Saint Xavier University
Chicago and Orland Park
Catholic – Sisters of Mercy
8-weeks or semester (depending on the online program)
- The University is accredited at the institutional level by the Higher Learning Commission
- The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- The School of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Memberships Include:
- Council of Independent Colleges
- The School for Continuing Education and Professional Studies holds a membership in the University Continuing Education Association
- The School of Education holds a membership in the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), the Illinois Association of Colleges in Nursing, the Illinois Coalition for Nursing Resources (ICNR), Building a Healthier Chicago, and the National League for Nursing (NLN.)
- Top 25% of all Midwest master’s comprehensive universities for a fifth consecutive year, according to US News & World Report’s 2011 ranking for “Best Colleges in the Midwest.”
- School of Nursing has been designated as a Center of Excellence by the National League of Nursing for a second consecutive three-year term, effective through 2013. SXU is among one of only 17 nursing programs in the country that have been awarded this prominent designation.
- The Best Colleges ranked SXU’s MSN – Clinical Leadership and MSN – Executive Leadership in the Top 6 Online MSN Programs 2011-2012.
- One of the five largest schools of nursing in Illinois.
- At the graduate level, SXU is the second largest provider of teachers in the state of Illinois. In the metropolitan Chicago area, it is estimated that more than 174,000 school children a day are taught by a teacher from Saint Xavier University.
- The School of Nursing at Saint Xavier was also ranked Sixth on The Best Colleges Top 10 Online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Degree Programs List for 2011-2012
Master of Nursing – Clinical Leadership:
This graduate degree is for nurses who want to hone their clinical expertise and take on the challenge of identifying and instituting more effective methods of patient care. The skills learned can be applied to most clinical settings, including: hospitals, doctors' offices, rehabilitation centers, hospices and Veterans Affairs Medical Centers. The curriculum prepares students for the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) certification exam.
Saint Xavier's School of Nursing has been designated as a Center of Excellence in nursing education by the National League for Nursing for a second consecutive three-year term, effective through 2013. SXU is among one of only 17 nursing programs in the country that have been awarded this prominent designation.
Master of Nursing – Executive Leadership:
This program gives nurses the high-level perspective and critical skills needed to manage a nursing department or unit. Coursework covers vital aspects of an administrative role including: assessment and implementation of quality and safety measurements, budgeting, project management, strategic planning and patient communications. The curriculum prepares students for Nurse Executive, Advanced certification exam (NEA-BC).
Saint Xavier's School of Nursing has been designated as a Center of Excellence by the National League of Nursing for a second consecutive three-year term, effective through 2013. SXU is among one of only 17 nursing programs in the country that have been awarded this prominent designation.