Purdue University offers a strong foundation of tradition and history, an environment of intellectual curiosity and discovery, and a supportive, student-centered approach to learning. Founded in 1869 as a land-grant school, the University is known today for its prolific faculty as well as a record of distinguished research and achievement in aerospace, engineering, technology, science, and math. Our goal is to educate and develop men and women of personal integrity and scholarly excellence.
The staff and faculty at Purdue bring the same commitment to discovery and learning that is present on the University's campuses, with rigorous, intellectually stimulating course work and personal support to help students succeed.
Semesters beginning in August and January, Summer Session beginning in May
Purdue University is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413
The programs offered by Purdue University's College of Education are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- U.S. News and World report has ranked Purdue among the top 100 online graduate education programs in 2014 The Best Schools listing.
- Purdue’s graduate School of Education was ranked 32 in U.S. News and World Report’s Best Colleges listing. The University as a whole ranked 68 nationally in the 2014 listing.
- In 2013, Purdue was ranked within the top 150 ‘Best Value’ schools by the Princeton Review. It is the second time this academic year that Purdue has been recognized for its good value. In August, SmartMoney magazine ranked Purdue eighth nationally in its college payback survey, which quantified the long-term value of a college degree.
- Purdue is ranked 69 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings in 2012-2013. The rankings are based on performance indicators in these areas: teaching, research, citations, international outlook by staff, and students, research, and industry income.
- Forbes has ranked Purdue University as the 38 University in the Midwest and ranked 77 Research University nationally.
- In 2013, Purdue has been ranked as a Military Friendly School by GI Jobs. The list measures the programs and services important to the military community, including a school’s flexibility, veteran student support, academic accreditation, percentage of student veterans, tuition discounts and military spouse policies.
- Washington Monthly has ranked Purdue 58 on their 2012 list of National University Rankings based on social mobility, research, and service.
- The Wall Street Journal has ranked Purdue University 4 in the Top 25 Universities Ranked by Recruiters. Specifically, the Engineering program at Purdue was ranked 2.
Instructional and Educational Technology Careers and Jobs
The field of learning design and educational technology has practical applications in any field or industry where people need to be taught new things, but there are particular areas where the opportunities are greatest.
- K-12 education.The need for updated curricula to reflect our changing society, increasing pressure on schools to improve performance, and more use of technology in the classroom all point to job growth for instructional designers in this area. The Bureau of Labor Statistics
estimates that jobs for instructional coordinators will grow by 23 percent through 2018, much faster than the average rate of growth for all jobs1.
- Health care. Continuing advances in technology and medicine mean that health care workers must be taught to operate new software, hardware, and equipment correctly and safely.
- Business and industry.As many organizations seek to improve employee performance
and ensure their skills are up to date, training and development become vital areas for
investment.The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that employment growth in human resources
and training will grow 22 percent through 20182.
- The military. Training soldiers for combat and to operate advanced machinery and technology
feeds a need for effective instructional strategies and materials.
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, accessed 12/28/2010,http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos269.htm
2lbid., accessed 12/28/10,http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos021.htm
Master of Science in Education in Learning Design and Technology
- The curriculum of the master's degree in learning design and technology includes cutting-edge learning theory, educational technology, and instructional development to give students a strong foundation in this exciting and developing field. The online program covers concepts in instructional design and technology that can be adapted to the training needs of any environment. Students will learn how to integrate pedagogy and technology for maximum learning impact while using their own professional experience to put theory into action. Career opportunities exist anywhere that people need to be taught and trained, but are particularly numerous in K-12 and higher education, corporate training and development settings, health care and the military.
Curriculum and Academic Environment:
- The online MS in Education in Learning Design at Purdue University requires a total of 33 credit hours, including 27 credit hours of required courses and six credit hours of electives. Features of the curriculum include:
- Classes in learning theory, educational technology, and instructional development to give you a strong foundation in this exciting and developing field
- Guidance on how to effectively integrate learning technology into instructional materials
- An introduction to the principles of instructional design and how to use them to create effective and efficient training and support materials
- Coursework encourages you to use your own professional experience to put theory into action
- Coursework that is completely online—arrange your studies around your personal and professional schedule
Information for Military Students and Their Dependents:
The Purdue University community is grateful for the hard work and sacrifice of our nation's men and women in the military services. Our online programs are ideal for service members and their family members stationed overseas, and for veterans interested in building up their skills in preparation for re-entering the civilian workforce and the next phase of their lives.
Purdue University offers benefits to service members through the GI Bill, the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and the Yellow Ribbon Program. Benefits may also be available to the children of disabled veterans or those deceased due to service-related injuries.