One of the nation’s leading public technological universities, New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) prepares students to be leaders in the technology dependent economy of the 21st century. Founded in 1881 as the Newark Technical School, NJIT is now home to nearly 50 laboratories, centers and business incubators, resulting in hundreds of research breakthroughs. NJIT’s vision stresses innovation, entrepreneurship, and engagement in order to address the issues facing our society. The university’s educational tradition emphasizes the pursuit of excellence, real-world learning, and applied research.
New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
NJIT is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
All of NJIT's professional programs, both graduate and undergraduate, are accredited by the respective accrediting agencies for their field.
- Enrollment: Enrolls more than 9,558 students pursuing bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in 120 programs.
- International Students: 186 undergraduate; 1050 graduate
- Research centers and labs: 48 in seven key areas
- Special opportunities: Continuing professional education, study abroad, cooperative education and internships, living learning communities, Equal Opportunity Program
- Colleges and Schools: Newark College of Engineering, College of Architecture and Design, College of Science and Liberal Arts, School of Management, College of Computing Sciences and Albert Dorman Honors College.
- Faculty: 416 full-time, of whom 98 percent hold a doctorate or the terminal degree in their field; 88 adjuncts
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 13 to 1
- National recognition: Top-tier national research university offering bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees (U.S. News & World Report)
- U.S. News & World Report ranks NJIT 138th among the nation’s best national universities as published in their 2012 Annual Guide to America’s Best Colleges.
- In 2010, the Princeton Review once again named NJIT as one of the country’s best institutions for undergraduate education and value. The prior year, NJIT was named by the Princeton Review among the nation’s top 25 campuses for technology.
- NJIT is a high research activity university according to the latest Carnegie classification, and was noted among the nation’s top tier of national research universities offering a range of undergraduate majors, master’s degrees, and doctoral programs.
- NJIT is ranked in the top 1% of public universities for return on investment by PayScale
Online Master of Science in Civil Engineering: Promotes advanced engineering, management, and leadership skills, while focusing on core areas of transportation, construction, and structures. Students can refine their expertise and increase advancement potential. Offers three specializations.
Online Master of Science in Electrical Engineering: Prepares students to become the next generation of innovative electrical engineers, problem solvers and critical thinkers. Students can build a solid core of knowledge in linear systems, signal analysis and electromagnetism before studying of one of three specializations.
Online Master of Science in Computer Science: Prepares students with the technical skills and high-level knowledge they'll need to become the next generation of innovators and leaders in the high-growth computing industry. Specialize in Database & Data Mining, or Networking.
Online MBA: Helps students develop relevant business skills and learn the application of modern technological tools. Students can learn to strategically leverage technology, manage innovation, and perform as a leader in a rapidly evolving business environment. Specialize in MIS, Marketing or Finance.